I want to buy,but...

This is the right place to share your game experience and feelings! Feel Free!

I want to buy,but...

Postby Velzevoul » 13 May 2013, 22:10

Dear Spiders,

I am a gamer from Greece.I am sure you have heard of all the troubles here, with the recession and all, but as a true gamer there are some games that I feel the need to support, even in these times. I have played "Mars" on the PC of a friend and I really enjoyed the...two hours I took over his machine.So, I decided I can afford the 20 Euros, from my very tight budget, to buy it. It is a normal price for its quality and duration (considering that I used to pay 50 euros for crap back in the day...) and it feels good to support studios that can make game-play, instead of just flashy clones of...nothing. And here is my biggest problem.

Steam.

One day, I had nothing to do while waiting an e-mail, that took longer than expected to come, and, out of pure boredom, I started reading the legal notes from Steam on my PC (I own 13 or 15 games on Steam only, that I bought on sales). That is right, I had just clicked "I Accept" while skipping all that was written in that "wall of text". I was never a fan of non physical copies (or even worse, the "bright" idea of Blizzard's "always online DRM") and I avoided as much as I could buying digital copies.Then came this:
"STEAM SUBSCRIBER AGREEMENT".
Instead of mumbling a bunch of lawyer stuff I will just point out the parts that made me grow white hair:

1.I do not own what I buy on Steam.Rather than that, I am granted a limited access to the products I have bought through the Steam Client.
2.Steam has the right to ban my account,prior to no notice, in case which I loose everything I have bought without any right of compensation of any kind, if Steam thinks that I am in violation of its terms.
3.Steam is an "SA" service, meaning that it can stop its functions without any prior notice and no user has any right to any kind of moral or economic compensation. So if I have paid 500 euros (just 10 day-one purchases on Steam) I don't get to keep my games and I don't get any re-funds.

So, I really like your game. I really want to buy. I hate buying and then downloading cracks, so I can enjoy what is mine because of stupid DRMs, that restrict me from using my product whenever I want. Please consider the possibility of a DRM free version without Steam, Origin, etc. Add a DRM-free copy on your website or GOG.If I wanted to pirate the game, I wouldn't have bothered asking you for something like that. I am not a thief, nor I ignore the work put on any product. I want to have the right to choose how to use my games. But unless you give that option, you will lose a buyer. I don't think that my money will make a difference in the game's success, but there are many like me, who disagree with the norm that the game industry has forced upon us. And I would greatly appreciate it if you considered it.

Thank you for your time reading this.
Velzevoul

Re: I want to buy,but...

Postby Sirkel » 14 May 2013, 11:09

Hi Velzevoul,

I just read your message and I understand your concerns. I'll do my best to adress it.

Steam is only needed to activate your Mars: War Logs Key, and you do not need to be online to play the game.
I can't talk on behalf of Valve about their Terms of Service, but I think you should try to reach their Support service if you have any concern.

You might be interested to know that Mars: War Logs is also available in retail box. I don't know precisely if you can get it in store in Greece, I invite you to check it up in your local store, but you should be able to import it through websites like Amazon if you want.
http://www.amazon.com/Mars-War-Logs-PC- ... 00CLQ9ZVQ/

Be aware however that you'll still need Steam to activate your CD Key.

I hope this helped. :)

Regards,
Sirkel
Focus Team - Community Manager
Sirkel

Postby Velzevoul » 15 May 2013, 14:24

Thank you for your quick answer. I know there is a retail,but right now costs 40 euros (39,99 euros to be exact) so it is not an option for me, at least for the time being.
I had a number of problems with steam's off-line mode.For some reason, when I don't have internet connection (which is often where I live), even with the credentials saved on my PC, steam won't start.I have contacted steam support, and tried a bunch of "remedies" I found on the net,but to no avail. So I try to avoid it by downloading cracks.I play almost all my games like that. That is why I prefer GOG's editions or DRM free downloads straight from the official pages (like Legend of Grimrock).
In any case, when the retail price drops a bit (or you decide on a DRM free edition) I will buy.

Thank you again for your time!
Velzevoul

Postby UndefinedM » 15 May 2013, 16:46

check if the store that tries to sell it to 40€ isn't rigging the price..i saw the retail box just the other day at mediamarkt in austria for 15€
UndefinedM

Postby Velzevoul » 15 May 2013, 20:21

Thank you for the info.Prices here are just crazy.
Velzevoul

Postby yellow » 03 December 2013, 18:15

I would also like to see this game and all other that Spiders is currently making, released on GoG.com, not only Steam.
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
yellow

Postby Rolodzeo » 04 December 2013, 21:17

Well, I registered only to say that I support 100% what OP says. DRM is an insta-no-buy for me. That said, I *really* want to play this game since I've tried it on psn, and I'm pretty committed to buy it if it ever reaches gog or something like that. Seriously, this game (any game) needs to be DRM free asap.
Rolodzeo

Postby yellow » 15 June 2014, 10:07

Still hoping for this to be released on GoG.com, and clearly i am not the only one:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/mars_war_logs
http://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/mars_war_log
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
yellow

Return to General